June 25, 2013

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2013 (28)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This week's topic is Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2013. I've read 46 books this year, according to Goodreads, and while there are A LOT of books (*cough* all 6 Tamora Pierce books I've re-read to mention a few *cough*), here are the 10 that I think you all should make sure you get to in a very timely fashion. And when I say 10, I mean 12, because I've put two second-book-in-trilogy books on this list and OBVIOUSLY you need to read the first one first. Obviously.


1. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Seraphina was my first book read in 2013 and it did NOT disappoint. I loved the dragons, the twists, I loved the writing... just about everything. I hadn’t read a dragon or high fantasy book in a very long time (mostly from fear that nothing would ever match up to Tamora Pierce - whom I love) and this book totally destroyed any and all fears I had about recent high fantasy publications ruining one of my favorite genres. And, just in case you’re having some trouble starting this one, skip the prologue and come back to it at the end. It’ll make more sense once you’re done. Oh, and be PATIENT. It’s worth it. (My Review)

2. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Even though I read this book when my windows were still frosted over this past winter, I could still feel the heat. The romance, the twists, the family relationships - even the cover is enough to make a person want to read this book. Seriously. Try to say no to that cover - especially now that we’ve made it to the summer months. I’d say it’s almost impossible to deny this potential beach read. And y’know, even if you curl up inside with the AC blasting while you make your way through this one, you’ll probably feel the summer humidity just like I did. And that’s not just the kisstastic relationship in the book doing the talking. (My Review)

3. Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
I picked Unravel Me for this list instead of Shatter Me in hopes that my nomination of this book will lead you to go read Shatter Me first so you can read this one (if you haven’t already devoured this series). That way I secretly/sneakily put two books in one item on this list. Why? Because this is one of those series that really makes the dystopian genre and trilogies in general look good. Not to mention I love the strike-throughs. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I sometimes like knowing there’s something different out there for me to dig into. It’s oddly comforting - even this book is so very much NOT comforting in any way. Also? SUPERHEROES. (My Review)

4. Ferryman by Claire McFall
Is it possible for a book to not really have a genre? If it is, this book really don’t have one. I would say it’s supernatural, if I had to pick one - maybe paranormal? But not really. If anything, it’s a contemporary book put in a supernatural/paranormal/Greek Mythology context. And, whatever genre you’d place it in, it’s wonderful. Probably one of my most favorite reads AND reviews of the year. Claire McFall might be a small time Scottish writer, but I definitely hope she A) gets the recognition she deserves and B) keeps writing! (My Review)

5. The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna
This book is just so different from your usual dystopian - probably because the book doesn’t dwell on the dystopian. Instead it fleshes out the dystopian just enough and then focuses on the danger, the philosophical issues and the relationships between the characters. But, for once, the philosophical part is my favorite (that’s NOT usually the case for me) because the book asks you to consider what it is to be human and that’s something we should all consider on occasion. (My Review)

6. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
My favorite fantasy read of the year, Graceling is the book I should have read 5 years ago but didn’t. And with the number of times I picked it up, put it down and picked it up again? I’m honestly ashamed of past Gaby. This book is so fantastically fantastic. All of the everything is just so perfect and well paced. Seriously. If I could time travel, I would go back in disguise (y’know, as to not create a paradox or anything crazy like that - thanks for the time travel education, Doctor Who) and hand myself this book. Because 5-years-ago Gaby REALLY should have read this book. And so should all of you. (My Review)

7. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Everything in this book is absolutely made of awesome and I believe everyone should read it - intolerance for slow/confusing beginnings be damned. It’s just so beautifully layered and complicated that no one should miss it, no matter what the excuse. FURTHERMORE, Melina Marchetta is a GENIUS because EVERYTHING in this book is in it for a reason. There are no extra words or unnecessary plot devices. This author is NOT wasting your time, nor does she think you anything less than clever. (My Review)

8. Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi
Yet another series where I mention the second in order to coerce you to read the first. Through the Ever Night is just so touching, wonderful and heroic. I finish the book and I feel like all of the characters are real people I should be able to spend my days with. Even more so, the relationships between these oh-so-real characters are so sigh-worthy that I could read about them all day and be perfectly content. Oh. Also. The action, danger and dystopia-ness in this serious is pretty crazy and awesome too. (My Review)

9. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
Sometimes I read retelling and my reaction is: “That was great. I could go for another.” But at the end of this book I couldn’t even think of what I would read next because my mind was still on this book. And it wasn’t that I wanted to have more time with these characters. I actually felt fairly completely at the end of it all. I just needed to take a deep breath and process the fact that I’d finished such a brilliant book. I just needed to savor the ending and not rush past it to the next book in my stack.

10. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Sometimes, when I get to the end of a book, I tear through the last however many pages. It’s like a freefall into an ending that you know isn’t going to give you exactly what you wanted - but what you needed instead. But instead of getting upset at the book for not give you what you wanted (as opposed to the all knowing “needed”), you just close the book and sigh. Because it was THAT GOOD.


*ADDENDUM BECAUSE I'M FOOLISH AND I FORGOT*


11. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer 

Another second-book-in-series I have to put up here. I liked Cinder and LOVED Scarlet. I think it's because there were more characters to work with - the shifting POV was done PERFECTLY - but for whatever reason this fairytale retelling was in no way obvious. And even if the storyline WAS obvious, I DID NOT want it to happen that way. So. Go pick up this series RIGHT NOW because it's totally a new favorite of mine. (My Review)


Have you read any of these? This year? Last year? Any year? If you have, did you love? If you haven't, DO YOU WANT TO? Talk to me in the comments below!

28 comments:

  1. SO happy you loved Graceling!!! Unravel Me made my list too-obvi :) And For Darkness Shows the Stars--ALL THE FEELS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Life Next Door was such a cute contemporary book. I've seen Unravel Me around on many lists so far (including my own, lol). So many amazing sequels so far this year! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleanor & Park and Unravel Me made my list, too, and I really want to read the Under the Never Sky series and On the Jellicoe Road.

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO many books I still need to read!!! Ok, I'll be honest I haven't read ANY of these. But most of them are on my massive TBR! I've been wanting to get my hands on My Life Next Door, Graceling, and the Lost Girl for awhile now! I have Eleanor and TTEN waiting patiently on my Nook. Hopefully I can get to them soon! Great list Gaby!

    My TTT

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Life Next Door, Eleanor & Park, and Through the Ever Night! Why have I not read these ones yet? They sound incredible and your descriptions of them are making me want to read them even more!

    And oh my goodness - JELLICOE ROAD! One of my all time favorite books and that beginning! It turns so many people off, but once you get past that first 100 pages it's so good and the emotions and the flashbacks? AH. I love it so much.

    Great list!
    Tabitha @ Tabitha's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just added The Lost Girl to my ever-growing TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved My Life Next Door because it reminded me of Sarah Dessen's The Truth About Forever.

    On the Jellicoe Road is one of my favorite books. Every time I see somebody refer to it, I feel like rereading the book again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, this list is like, all the books I've been meaning to read: For Darkness Shows The Stars, Graceling, My Life Next Door, Seraphina, Through the Ever Night... I need to get on that and see if they're really that awesome! :D Yes to Unravel Me and Scarlet! Those are heaps of awesome! Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really need to read For Darkness and Seraphina. And I've been trying to get a hold of Shatter Me too! Some of these need to get UK publishers.

    Great list Gaby! (I'm still trying to get through Ferryman...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jellicoe Road is on my list too! It was so fantastic. I keep forgetting I need to read For Darkness. I've had it for like a year now and never got to it.

    Great list!

    My TTT List

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I LOVED Graceling! Most of these are on my TBR, glad you loved all of them!
    I'm a new Bloglovin' follower :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO MUCH love for this list! My Life Next Door, UNRAVEL ME ♥, Graceling, and Jellicoe Road are all fantastic! I have Eleanor & Park from the library right now. Looking forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read My Life Next Door and Eleanor and Park.Great picks!

    My TTT: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/top-ten-books-ive-read-so-far-in-2013/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seraphina! HELLS yes. Also, way to start the year off right! I started with a thriller which was alright but not really my thing. Oops.

    Also, I have not heard of this Ferryman, but I trust you, though it's an ebook, so honestly will probs never happen.

    GRACELING is the best. Though OBVI because I feel like Tamora Pierce fans MUST love Cshore. She's like Tamora's heir.

    E&P. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scarlet! YES!
    I really need to read My Life Next Door and The Lost Girl! I HAVE The Lost Girl but still haven't read it :( :( Shame on me! Actually, I have My Life Next Door now too.... This is why I'm not allowed to request things anymore! I need to read the books I HAVE! :)
    Love Graceling, E&P, and TTeN as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY My Life Next Door. Gah, that is seriously one of the best contemporary novels I've ever read. Especially loved the romance because, um...they talked about sex beforehand and yeah. GREAT BOOK.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jellicoe Road was so fantastic! I loved that book so very much when I read it. I'm looking forward to reading Graceling, as I know lots of people who have loved it, so I'm hoping I do too. Great list!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES to Through the Ever Night! Seriously, I am in love with both books of that series. I was so pleasantly surprised by Under the Never Sky, and was thrilled that Through the Ever Night lived up to the first one. I've been wanting to pick up My Life Next Door for a while now, and so after seeing your thoughts, I need to go buy a copy!! Graceling is probably one of my favorite books of all time. I definitely understand why you put it down so much, because it's a little hard to get into, but once you're in, the book never lets you go. So wonderful. <3

    Awesome list!! <3

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  19. E&P is on my list, too. I think it will be on tons of TTTs today - as it should. Such an amazing story. And I loved Scarlet, too. Although I do think I liked Cinder just a teensy bit more. I cannot wait for Cress. Seriously cannot wait,

    ReplyDelete
  20. such a great list. of course, E&P is at the top of mine. I'm really looking forward to For Darkness shows the stars & my life next door was amazing, too. great list! ~daphne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant list!! The only one I've read so far is Graceling, but there are lots of others on my TBR list! Better get cracking with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, I love Graceling to bits. It is such a great book and the series as a whole is outstanding!! My favorite though is the second book, Fire. I don't know why, it has much less action than Graceling, but it's so much better!
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/06/top-ten-tuesday-23_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay Seraphina was one of my top picks from last year. It's such a wonderful book and deserves even more praise than it's received, in my opinion. I can't wait for its sequel to be released next year! I really do need to read Unravel Me (and Destroy Me), because though I only liked Shatter Me, it appears that everyone has enjoyed the sequel even more. I agree that Graceling and Jellicoe Road are both fantastic novels - some of my all-time favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read The Lost Girl a while back and loved it. I haven't read any of these others ones but quite a few are on my list. Good to see you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It makes my heart happy that we share a mutual taste in books, clearly based on the fact that I've read and loved 7/10 books on your list too! Great choices, all, and now I'm reminded I want to read The Lost Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seraphina and Graceling are both on my TBR. Happy Reading!
    Here are my top ten.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved My Life Next Door when I read it last year, and Graceling, For Darkness Shows the Stars, Jellicoe Road, Seraphina and Unravel Me are on my to-read list. And YES, I also loved Scarlet! The Lost Girl looks really intriguing too! Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!